“Don’t sit idly by, counting time. Start today to make your time count.”
About Anthony House
Anthony House is a transitional home for homeless men on Long Island. Many of the residents are burdened by addictions that they need help overcoming, while others struggle with criminal pasts, long-term unemployment, and many other circumstances.
Men are referred to Anthony House by rehabilitation facilities, the criminal justice system, religious and community based agencies, or they come to us on their own. The circumstances of their homelessness vary, but all are given the tools and guidance necessary to support themselves and become productive members of the community.
Everyone entering the program is provided with basic necessities including shelter, food, clothing, hygiene products, provisions for medical care, and transportation assistance. Residents also receive weekly counseling, mentoring, and employment training. Anthony House has a very successful employment program that helps residents find employment usually within two weeks of entering the program. Upon their departure, Anthony House also helps residents secure housing near their place of employment with money they have saved during their stay.
- FOCUS: A transitional housing program with 9 beds that provide men with a supportive and healthy environment in returning to independent living.
- ELIGIBILITY: Males, over 21, homeless and with the physical and mental health to return to independent living. A phone interview is mandatory for acceptance. The program is opened to all men regardless of creed, race or nationality.
- RESTRICTIONS: Men with regular income (Disability insurance, Social Service, etc), men not able to obtain full time work; men convicted of a sex crime or are registered sex offender.
- REFERRALS: Churches, outreach programs, soup kitchens, 12 step/recovery programs, state and federal prisons, county jails and self referral.
- PAYMENT: While a man is in the program, his needs are taken care of by the house. The only requirement for the resident is that he gives his best while in the program and cooperates with house rules.
- SERVICES: Anthony House provides a clean, positive and structured environment. Staff provide assistance and direction in seeking full time employment, saving money and finding permanent housing. Contacts and referrals for professional treatment, counseling, 12 step programs or other personal needs are set up with the appropriate resources in the community as needed.
- LENGTH OF STAY: It usually takes 90 days to complete the transition. It can vary with an individual’s need. It is possible to stay longer.
- DISCHARGE: Use of alcohol or substance abuse, acting out in a manner that makes him a threat to himself or others. ALL RESIDENTS MUST KNOW THEY ARE IN A SOBER, SAFE, CLEAN PLACE, anyone who threatens this is open to immediate discharge.
- ADMISSION: By phone interview to determine if the man is eligible and his willingness to concentrate his efforts and energy on the goals of the program.
If you are:
- Ready to deal with independent living
- Able to stay clean, seek and hold full-time work
- Willing to put forth the effort to succeed
Get in touch with us to see if we can help you make a new start in life.
Donate to Anthony House